Scarring Injury Compensation

Speak to a Solicitor About Your Claim

No Obligation or Pressure - Just Credible Expert Advice - Your Privacy Respected

On my way home from a football match, I was attacked by a couple of men. One of them slashed my leg, so that I now have a large, visible scar. Am I entitled to seek scarring injury compensation from them?

As your case involved criminal assault, you may seek scarring injury compensation directly from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority. If you plan on making a claim for scarring injury compensation through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, please bear in mind that you must do so within two years of the date of your assault. Presumably, you have already reported the incident to the police – an essential step which assists in not only apprehending the offenders in question but also supporting your scarring injury compensation claim.

The amount of scarring injury compensation you receive will be contingent on the severity of your injury, and its consequences on your personal and professional life. Depending on your individual circumstances, you may be entitled to receive both general damages and special damages. General damages address your pain and suffering while special damages compensate for any financial losses directly attributable to your injury.

For example, as you might require corrective procedures to reduce your scar’s appearance, these costs may be covered through special damages. Moreover, if the attack has caused you psychological trauma and you are now seeing a therapist, these costs can also be recovered. Additionally, if have to take time off work, you may also receive scarring injury compensation through special damages to address loss of income for the time you are expected to stay off work.

As you may be anxious to seek treatment and recover your losses quickly, it is to your advantage to have your potential scarring injury compensation claim assessed by a personal injury solicitor as soon as possible.