November 2015

Family Claims for Death of Relative against Hotel

The family of a woman, who was touring Edinburgh at the time of her death, has made a claim for scalding in a hotel shower against the owners of Premier Inn.

The accident occurred in August 2012 when Kalyani Uthman, aged fifty-nine from Bangalore, was on holiday in Edinburgh. However, then Kalyani showered in her Premier Inn hotel in Newcraighall, she sustained severe burns to twenty-five percent of her body. Just six weeks later, Kalyani died from multiple organ failure.

Medical experts determined that Kalyani’s organ failure was a result of the scalding she suffered in the hotel shower. Despite this, and other investigations carried out by the Edinburgh City Council and Police Scotland, the Crown Office did not conduct a fatal accident enquiry.

Kayla’s family, who were frustrated with the decisions being made and the pace at which investigations were moving, sought legal counsel and have decided to make a claim for hotel shower burns against the owners of Premier Inn, Whitbread PLC.

A summons was issued by Edinburgh’s Court of Sessions against Whitbread PLC. The first hearing is due to be held later this week – something that the family’s solicitor has called “a significant milestone”.

A spokesperson for Premier Inn has commented that “This is a very sad incident. Our thoughts are with the family of Ms Uthaman during what must have been, and which must remain, an extremely difficult period for them.”

However, Kalyani’s family have been critical of Premier Inn’s handling of the issue. Sundar Uthaman, told BBC that “It is an irreparable loss, given the love and affection she had for us and we had for her. It was something none of us expected would ever happen in a very safe country like the UK.”